The fruit that tastes like chocolate

 I became vegetarian while I was in college and it seems that a lifetime has passed since then, around 10 years. I won't go through the reasons why being vegetarian/vegan is something you should do. My goal is to share my experience and love for food and traveling. 

I always being curious about new places and I grew up traveling between Bolivia and Brazil, my mom used to take me on a journey from La Paz to Sao Paulo that will last 5-7 days, traveling by bus, train, and boats across the Amazon. We would eat from simple empanadas that street sellers had available to cassava cakes cooked in banana leaves that were prepared by locals and sold through the window as our train moved slowly. 

My first job after college, I studied Telecommunications engineering, required me to travel 90% of the time, and most of the time I was in rural places where restaurants were not available. I remember being so afraid of don't being able to find any vegetarian options that I packed as many cookies and cereal bars as I could. But I was wrong, even I was in a country were meat seems to be the main source of food, I was also in areas where people are mostly poor and considering that meat is so expensive local alternatives are available. From traveling in the Altiplano where there are 4,000 varieties of potatoes to the Amazon where fruits like copoazu that taste like chocolate are available, I was in heaven.

After this experience, I've learned that by being vegetarian I was open to exploring more options to really search what is locally offered and I knew I wasn't missing out on anything. 

 




Copoazu

Comments

Post a Comment